Here is a craft that takes me back to my own schooling when we made lots of accordion-folded craft projects. This simple and effective style of craft lends itself well to stop motion.
What you need:
4 sheets of different coloured paper
- Start out by cutting a strip 28 cm x 3.5 cm from each of the four coloured papers.
- Glue the end of one strip to the end of the second strip at a right angle.
- Fold the yellow strip over the blue strip.
- Now, fold the blue strip over the yellow strip.
- Keep alternating folding until you reach the end of both strips.
- To add other colours, leave a 2cm space at the end of each strip and then glue on the different coloured paper, continue folding.
- Once you have reached the end of the strip, add a dab of glue to one end of the paper and fold over the other piece of paper onto the glue.
- On a separate piece of paper, draw a snake head.
- With the white paper, draw two eyes.
- Draw the snake’s tongue onto some red paper.
- Cut out the head, glue the eyes and tongue onto the head.
- Glue the head onto the accordion folded body.
I made some plants and grass out of paper for the set. I moved the snake around the set. I also made the snake’s tongue move in and out as it moved across the screen.
Use your own ideas and let me know what you come up with by leaving a link in the comments.
Here is another great craft to try. This craft tutorial is inspired by the children’s book Elmer and requires lots of paper weaving.